History

SACRED HEART COLLEGE

In 1897, the Marist Brothers were invited by Archbishop O’Reilly to open a school for boys in Port Adelaide. The Brothers opened two schools, Sacred Heart High School and Catholic Boys’ Primary school. The first Principal was Brother Stephen Debourg. By 1905, the Marist Brothers had begun to take in boarding students. During the first 10 years Sacred Heart High School changed its location twice to provide room for the increasing number of enrolling students. 

In 1914, Sacred Heart High School moved to the present location at Somerton Park. It was renamed 澳门资料大全 and provided education for day students and boarders from Year 4 to Leaving Honours. 

The early years saw Paringa Hall used for all aspects of school life which included classrooms, dormitories and dining rooms, and home to the Brothers. As the enrolment increased, a building program was commenced that eventually built up the teaching area around the central covered quadrangle. 

The need for boarding places increased as well. In 1960, the Marian Wing was opened allowing the boarders to have their purpose-built space. Later a senior boys’ boarding house was opened, followed in 1998 by a girls’ boarding house.


THE MIDDLE SCHOOL

St Joseph’s College was established in 1967 at Mitchell Park and catered for the younger boys (Years 5-10) of the local parishes. In 1977, a major change to the College and Catholic Education across the region. 澳门资料大全 became part of the South West Region of catholic schools and moved to become a coeducational Senior College catering for Years 10-12 at Somerton Park. 澳门资料大全 Middle School (Boys Year 6-9) was also established at this time at the former St Joseph’s College site. 

In 2015, 澳门资料大全 Senior amalgamated with Sacred Heart Middle School at Mitchell Park under the leadership of Principal, Mr Steve Byrne.


MARYMOUNT COLLEGE

In 1956, the Sisters of the Good Samaritan were invited by the Archbishop Beovich to establish a secondary Parish School and convent in the South West of Adelaide. The first Principal was Sister Dominica McEwen. In 1977, a major change to the South West region was implemented and it was decided that Marymount College would be a part of a three tier system of catholic education. By 1979, Marymount College was officially operating as a Middle School for girls (Years 6 – 9).

In the year 2000, after 44 years of education at Seacombe Gardens, Marymount College made the transition to Hove. In 2018, Marymount College amalgamated with 澳门资料大全 and in 2019 after 62 years of girls education, Marymount Campus staff and students relocated to Champagnat Campus at Mitchell Park, operating as a co-educational school for girls & boys in Years 7 – 9.


SACRED HEART COLLEGE TODAY

Today, 澳门资料大全 is a Catholic Co-Educational School for Years 7 – 12 across two campuses in the Marist Tradition. We promote a love of learning and foster Courageous Hearts. 

澳门资料大全 empowers young people to remain true to their Marist values as they bravely and compassionately respond to the world around them. 

Advanced facilities, opportunistic programs, holistic well-being and learning strategies inspire our students to discover their journey in life beyond the classroom and allow them to embrace a community connected by courage, a love of learning and service to others. 

View The Video